With the official start of fall, I have been really craving soup! This one is healthy, easy, and fast. (It's also delicious!) I prefer this with lacinato kale, but really, you could use any leafy green. I also used double smoked bacon, but any bacon or pancetta would work well. You could even substitute a smoked ham hock, or leave out the meat altogether and have a vegetarian meal!
- 8 ounces bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, medium diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 quarts of chicken stock
- 2 parmesan rinds
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 heads of kale, ribs discarded, washed and roughly chopped
- Parmesan, Pecorino or other cheese for garnish (I actually used a triple cream Saint Angel and it was amazing when it melted in! Made the whole bowl creamy!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Saute the bacon pieces until the fat has melted out and the bacon is slightly crispy. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and continue cooking until soft about five minutes.
Add the chicken stock, parmesan rinds, beans and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Continue cooking for fifteen minutes.
Add the kale and continue cooking until the kale is tender, about ten minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and garnish with cheese. This would also be great with a crusty piece of garlic bread!